Oregon Department of Education

Student Transcripts from a Closed Private Career School

Private Career Schools

Licensed private career schools are required to maintain student transcripts for a period of 25 years. If a school closes, it is required to forward student transcripts to the Department of Education.

You can request a copy of your transcript from a closed private career school by completing the Transcript Release Request Form and sending it with a non-refundable $10 search fee to:

Higher Education Coordinating Commission
Private Career Schools Licensing Unit
775 Court Street NE
Salem, OR 97301

We will perform the search for your transcript and if it is in our records we will send you (or a designated school) a certified copy.

Educational Verification Requests
If you are an Agency/Entity and are looking for education verification for a client or an applicant please submit a request form that details the clients full name at the time of attending school, the clients current name, the last four digits of the Social Security number, your contact information, and the non-refundable $10 search fee in either a check or money order, or the form will be rejected back to you and no verification will be conducted.

Authentication and Apostille Requests
Some foreign countries require a student’s transcript, diploma, and other school related documents to be notarized and authenticated. Some countries call the authentication an apostille. The records office of the school or district can certify the record in the presence of a notary, who then notarizes the certification. The notarized record is then mailed or brought in person to the Secretary of State’s (SOS) office for an authentication/apostille. Click on the link below for instructions on this process. http://www.ode.state.or.us/news/announcements/announcement.aspx?id=5153&typeid=4

Secretary of State Apostille Instruction links
http://filinginoregon.com/pages/forms/notary/1503_NotaryTriFold.pdf PDF

High School Diploma/Transcript
Contact the District office or Education Service District (ESD) for a copy of your High School Diplom or transcript. The PCS Unit does not have access to those records.

General Education Development (GED) Certificates
For GED requests please contact the Department of Community Colleges and Workforce Development at http://www.oregon.gov/CCWD/GED/index.shtml.

Additional Information
  • Closed School and Transcript Information
    Career schools that are or will be closing operations must deliver all permanent student transcripts to the Higher Education Coordinating Commission. OAR 715-045-0018(6)(d).
    The Higher Education Coordinating Commission may not have a copy of your transcript if the school you attended was purchased by another and your records were transferred. The Commission does not keep transcripts for more than 25 years.