|9/3/2008 11:51:00 AM|
|Seeking Nominations for Student Representative to the State Board of Education|
In 2006 and 2007 the State Board of Education enacted a pilot program to add a student in an advisory capacity to the State Board, similar to that of the Superintendent, Community College President and faculty advisors. The Board is extending the pilot again this year.
A student representative to the State Board of Education (SBE) must:
1. Be enrolled in a secondary public school through the academic year 2008-2009.
2. Be a junior or senior.
3. Maintain a cumulative 3.0 G.P.A. and be responsible to makeup school work missed while attending scheduled meetings.
4. Be committed to attend monthly board meetings (Thursday and Friday) and special board functions.
5. Be willing to participate in policy discussions in an appropriate and professional manner.
6. Demonstrate a basic understanding and be knowledgeable about current education issues. Be willing to prepare for State Board meetings ahead of time.
7. Demonstrate leadership and diplomatic qualities in a group setting.
8. Demonstrate a commitment to community involvement.
9. Have access to a computer as correspondence about meeting logistics, agendas, and handouts will be sent by email.
The student representative to the State Board of Education will:
1. Attend and represent students across Oregon at all State Board of Education meetings. Please see http://www.ode.state.or.us, click on State Board - meetings for the schedule of meetings for 2008- 2009. State Board meetings are held at the Department of Education in Salem, Oregon.
2. Communicate via email with Superintendent Susan Castillo’s Youth Advisory Team (YAT) Leadership. Present a State Board update at the following scheduled YAT meetings:
· December 12th
· March 20th
· May 15th
3. Communicate with Department of Education staff to prep for the State Board of Education (via phone or email) before each meeting.
4. Arrange transportation to the board meetings in Salem. Student Advisor will get reimbursed for mileage and breakfast and lunch will be provided.
1. Nominations can be made by a Principal or Superintendent (a person can nominate one student only)
2. To apply get your application packet at: http://www.ode.state.or.us/superintendent/yat/
3. Submit nominees application packet in the form of a letter to include: A Typed one page letter addressing:
o Why do you want to be on the State Board of Education (SBE)?
o What would you contribute to the SBE?
o How will you represent the student body across Oregon?
o How do you as a candidate fit the qualifications and meet the responsibilities listed above?
The letter must be signed by the applicant, the parents, and the principal or superintendent who nominated the student to attest to the applicant’s sense of responsibility, maturity, and leadership ability.
Application letters must be postmarked by October 8, 2008.
Completed packet can be sent to:
Oregon Department of Education
ATTN: Diane Roth 255 Capitol St. NE
Salem, OR 97310
Finalists will be notified by Oct. 10th.
Once notified that you are a finalist, you will need to be prepared to be interviewed at the Dept of Education in Salem by Superintendent Castillo’s Youth Advisory Team on October 17th. Finalists will then be forwarded to the State Board for a second interview.
The student selected should be prepared to attend the State Board meetings on:
December 12 & 13
January 15 & 16
February 19 & 20
March 19 & 20
April 16 & 17
May 14 & 15
June 18 & 19
|- end -|
Oregon Department of Education
255 Capitol Street NE Salem, OR 97310-0203
(503) 947-5600 | Fax: (503) 378-5156
General ODE Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Copyright © 1998-2013 Oregon Department of Education|